Sunday, August 9, 2009

Julie and Katie?

I just watched the new movie, "Julie and Julia." It was fun, though predictable. I appreciated the way the character Julie rolled her eyes at corny moments. Rather than saying, "I'll write a blog and change the world; that's it," she would say something like, "...change the world," then add, "Yeah, right."

Here I go trying to compare myself to Julie Powell. I considered trying to do something and write a blog about it. I thought maybe I would blog about taking ballet lessons. Last year, I tried both to learn all the Bach Sonatas and Partitas for Solo violin by doing one movement a week, along with one scale and one Kreutzer Etude. Had I adhered to my schedule, I would be done with the Bach by now and nearly at the end of Kreutzer. Alas, I stopped in the middle of the second sonata. It could have been a blog.

I tried to work my way through a physics book. I never did seriously start cooking my way through Julia Child, though I did make some delicious custards and Boeuf Bourguignon, the début recipe for several cooks in the movie.

"Do something and write about it," is exactly what I want to do. Maybe that's why so many of my posts concern blogging. What I'm doing is blogging, so I write about it. But beyond the age-old tactic of overcoming writer's block by writing about writer's block... what should I write about?

I think it will come with time. Plus, I'm going to do more than one thing and write about it all.

Writing is what makes my hodgepodge of interests and activities into something. That is what writing does. It takes life and gives it meaning by telling about things that happen in a way that makes some sense to people. Not, "87 bus went by; ladybug landed on fence; carbon-14 decayed again; 88 bus went by" but "I took the 87 bus home."

Well, I think I'll go to sleep so I can tell you all about it tomorrow:)

No comments: