Monday, August 3, 2009

In Which I Find A Desk


My Newfound Desk

Pictured above and also as the new heading of my blog is the desk I found free on the street this morning and managed to get home with the help of a kind taxi driver. On the right corner of the desk is a crenshaw melon. Inside that melon are crenshaw seeds.

I, Katie Crenshaw, sit at this desk and record my thoughts on this blog. Since I am a Crenshaw, my thoughts are Crenshaw seeds.
Someone in a large, probably multi-family house left the desk on the sidewalk today, trash day. They are probably renting an apartment in the house, moved August 1, and preferred to get a new desk rather than move the old one. This desk's top is a little beaten up and has multi-colored streaks of paint on it. Someone probably did art projects on it, as I plan to do. What are black c's inside the bottom drawer? What round things that got wet with black paint did someone put in that drawer? Maybe a well of black ink?

There was some writing in one of the drawers. Let me investigate before I fill them up too much. The top drawer is stamped, on the inside, "Educational material; printed music; fourth class mail." Maybe this desk was at a post office at one time. I doubt it. Someone who used the desk must have worked at a post office. Or maybe someone at a school used that stamp on their packages to make sure they got the discounted rate. That's more likely. This could have been an a teacher's desk in a classroom.

No comments: