Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Wake up and smell the coffee


I woke up this morning at 5 am. Rain was pattering outside the window. I wasn’t sure, but I thought I had slept enough to get up. After all, I had to be at work early the next day, I reasoned, so being on an early schedule made sense. On the other hand, I had that hint of a sore throat that sometimes comes with too little sleep. But I wanted to get up. I was looking forward to my morning coffee. I don’t remember what I had been dreaming about.

As I woke up, my thoughts moved from the rain to coffee to the spiteful medical bill on my table, the one that I had already called to correct one time and had paid and should not have received.

The dawning of reality as I woke up reminded me of how the main character in Anna Karenina (link to the text), woke up from a pleasant dream about beautiful “decanter women” only to remember that he’d had an affair and his wife had found out and he had to do something about it.

Thinking of Anna Karenina reminded me that I had left the book at work the day before and therefore couldn’t read it on my day off unless I got it out of the library. Then I remembered how I had scraped my knee and elbow in the parking lot there.

At least, I tried to console myself, I hadn’t had an affair or done anything irreversible. Oh, yeah, I did… No, nothing irreversible. At least not anything I could remember at 5:30 am.

Addendum: I did get up too early, but wanted to get up so that I could write about waking up. So I wrote, then went back to bed!

No comments: