Thursday, September 8, 2011

Gorilla Coffee!

"20 20 20 24 hours to go!  I wanna be sedated."  Maybe you shouldn't be in a coffee shop, then.  But this is the music playing at Gorilla Coffee, Brooklyn.

It's one of the first places that stood out on the Google map of Brooklyn.  What a good name!  For the next few days, I talked about wanting to go there.  "It's special, Brooklyn coffee," I said, as if every coffee shop doesn't call their coffee special.

I didn't make it to the grocery to buy milk last night, and since I don't drink black coffee, I had an excuse to go to a café this morning.  I'm so glad I ran out of milk!  This coffee shop is pushing all my buttons at once.

Here I am at last sitting at a red table listening to hard rock music (the kind a gorilla might play) and drinking a delicious cup of dark-roast, special Brooklyn coffee, roasted here, I think.  At any rate, I can take a bag of Gorilla coffee, black bag with a red gorilla face, home with me.  The gorilla's eyes, inner lips, and nostrils are recessed and black, its brow, chin, and wide upper lip stand out in red.  This is the gorilla playing the drums on the radio, I think.

This place really is guaranteed to wake you up:  coffee, rock music, and red Christmas lights.  Plus, the walls are decorated with maps of Southeast Asia, Africa, and South America.  There are no captions explaining which gorillas lived where, but still, cool.

And then a former biology classmate from Oberlin who lives in Brooklyn and is also going to NYU walked in the door.  I hadn't seen her since the summer of 2007.  Could this get better? 

Gorilla Coffee!  Be there!

No comments: