Monday, September 7, 2009

Bible College Online

When I type www.crenshawseeds.blogspot.com into my browser, I go to Bible College Online.com megasite. I suspect that the Bible College website has some way to make itself appear instead of sites one commonly visits. I doubt that it actually came up with the name crenshawseeds for its URL. www.biblecollegeonline.com leads to the same page as www.crenshawseeds.blogspot.com.
So, when navigating to my blog, remember, it's http://crenshawseeds.blogspot.com.

It's ironic that the mega bible site comes up when I try to navigate to my blog because I am not religious and take offense at people and organizations that try to convert me and think I am a bad person, a pitiable person, without religion.

I particularly take offense at the concept of a megachurch or a mega bible site, because religion taken seriously and deeply felt seems like a nice thing, and mass-produced, quick-and-easy approaches to religion take something nice and make it ugly. It's like taking God's name in vain. That's what megachurches are doing. Giving God a bad name.

Unfortunately, megachurches are not the worst of the things that happen in the name of religion. There's war and cruelty and prejudice, all in the name of religion. I think that people would probably be just as brutish without religion. Just like people can do the right thing without religion, people can also be cruel without it. I think that the people who fight Holy Wars and punish others (like women, in Islamic cultures) for not following religious rules truly just seek power.

Would the Israelis and Palestinians still fight over land in a world without religion? They probably would. It might not be those two groups of people, but there might well be other groups of people who would want to claim the land and exclude others from it.

Religion is pervasive, though. It's hard to imagine a world without religion. In fact, religion comes from the imagination, in my opinion. People use religion to explain the unknown. Even scientists, who use science to explain the details of how things happen, still need religion to give meaning to the way things are. I don't personally know any deeply religious scientists, but I think, I "have faith," that they exist.

Nobody knows what happens to a person when they die. I think that nothing happens to them. As my then five-year-old great-great Uncle John Crenshaw said out-loud in church in response to a preacher's rhetorical question, "If a man does. shall he yet live again?":

"Nope, when you're dead, you're dead; that's all there is to it."

No comments: