Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Letters of Katie Crenshaw: 07/27/13

Dear Darling,                      July 27, 2013
In Washington Square today, in addition to the usual acrobats performing feats of flexibility while standing on their hands, I saw a woman singing and playing accordion in the company of a golden bull. The bull, slightly taller than the woman, had a purple velvet mane and six or eight spindly human legs underneath it, one pair of which was, in turn, propping up a pair of green-checkered shorts. The woman and her songs called to mind the word bawdy with her thick build, her gypsy-like red skirt, its folds piled up like a bustle around her waist, her blonde hair a combination mohawk and dreadlocks and a singing voice close to a yell. People threw bills into her backpack to which she had fastened a cardboard “tip the bison” sign.
I was there on a park bench marveling at not being hot under my cardigan and reading the William Styron book, which I decided to buy after missing it once I had left the bookstore. I definitely have to read Sophie’s Choice. Have you read it? I am up to the founding of The Paris Review.
I keep meaning to try to write a very long sentence that spans a lot of space and time. By “a lot” of time, I mean something like 29 years. Subject? New York. In sixth grade, I sent away for School of American Ballet brochures, pasted them in my green notebook, and posted a subsequent letter to New York, the town where I would gleefully attend graduate school less than 10 years later to study not ballet but writing, saying that I hoped to be a student at SAB but, alas, was stuck in a remote New England town thirty minutes from the closest ballet class, an hour from violin lessons and, I would observe, once I started learning the language of ballet, time zones away from France and an entire astronomical unit from the sun, so could you please continue sending me souvenirs of my inexperience as a New York City ballet kid and perhaps also some letters of encouragement to my parents?
Alright mon cher, goodnight. I challenge you to write a longer sentence. It doesn’t have to be true.
Yours truly,
Katie

No comments: